A lawyer since 1992, Dan has extensive experience in a wide range of cases. He has tried cases involving divorce, custody, human rights, contracts, business disputes, mechanic’s liens, trade secrets, employment, criminal and personal injury matters. Additionally, he has appeared in cases in over half of the 87 counties throughout Minnesota. Dan worked as a judicial law clerk in Minnesota’s Ninth Judicial District before joining the firm in 1994. He has been a partner in the firm since 1997.
- Haag v. Hartford Life, 188 F. Supp.2d 1135 (D.Minn.2002)
- (Life insurance class action involving issues of ERISA preemption. Case settled after remand to state court)
- Kurtz v. Lakes Medi-Van, 720 N.W.2d 590 (Minn.2005), affirming Worker’s Compensation Court of Appeal, WC05-281 (WCCA.2006). Upheld a finding a finding that a traveling employee’s death arose out of and in the course of employment.
- Swarthout v. Siroki, (2001 WL 766870)(Minn.App.2001). Upheld a conditional grant of child custody based on residence of party.
Dan is a Qualified Neutral under 114 of the Rules of Practice. He frequently works as a mediator or early neutral evaluator. He also has taken certified civil arbitration training. Dan is experienced because he has served as a mediator or early neutral evaluator in over 250 cases.
University of Minnesota Law School – J.D. 1992
University of Minnesota Morris, B.A. with Distinction – 1989, Political Science and German
1992 – Minnesota State Courts
1995 – U.S. District Court, District of Minnesota
- Minnesota State Bar Association
- Member of Family Law and Alternative Dispute Sections
- Member of 3rd and 8th District Bar Association
- Olmsted County Bar Association – member
- American Bar Association
- Member of Litigation Section
Dan has handled volunteer cases through Southern MN Regional Legal Services, Volunteer Attorney Program and through Legal Assistance of Olmsted County. He also regularly assists at legal advice clinics.
He is currently a member of the Stewartville Community Foundation Board, Stewartville Chamber of Commerce, Lions Club and member of Zion Lutheran Church.
Prior to moving back to Stewartville, Dan was a president of the Ridgewater College Foundation, Hutchinson Rotary Club, Hutchinson Community Foundation and Hutchinson Mainstreet Association. As a former college wrestler, Dan also coached youth wrestling in Hutchinson.
Dan grew up in Stewartville. He and his wife, Theresa, have three children.